Saturday, March 20, 2010

Couch-to-Holy-Crap-I-Registerd-for-a-5k!

Holy crap.

Yesterday I registered for a 5k race.

Running a 5k is on my List. And I fully intended to run one sometime in the next 12 months.

There was no deadline.

No race in mind.

Just this abstract concept that sometime in the next 12 months I would force myself to run 3.1 miles with a large group of strangers.

I had briefly considered how I might go about training for said race but figured I would plan it out later.

Well, later has become now.

I am officially registered to run a 5k in Commerce, Georgia on June 26.

I will be visiting South Carolina for a friend’s wedding. Some good friends from graduate school will be there and one suggested we run a race together.

So, we are.

Which means I need to actually begin training.

Holy crap.

So, Monday is the day I begin the couch-to-5k training program. I have heard several people mention it so I am hopeful that it will be a success.

I am sure you will hear more about it as I am sure there will be a fair amount of bitching and moaning that occurs.

But, even amongst the bitching and moaning, I am very excited to be moving forward on another item on the List.

And hopefully this training will lead to another List accomplishment, hitting my target weight.

Because, seriously, I gotta get rid of some of this junk in the trunk before I do this race….

Seriously.

2 comments:

  1. You can do it!!! I really want to run a 5k as well, but I think you have to be able to run, first, Right?!?! =) I haven't ran in year, well other than if someone is to chase me. (and that person would have to be scary) I like your "just do it"! I really need to do it as well, but hard to train with 5 kids! Good luck, I will be rooting for you in OKLAHOMA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam- I found a training program online that is called "couch to 5k" and (I can't believe I am saying this)...the first day wasn't too bad and it only took 20 minutes. I am not a runner AT ALL and I think this might actually work. I'm sure it's much more difficult with small ones around but you might want to check it out! Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete