Thursday, July 16, 2009

Crossing Off #14

This week, 2 days ago to be exact, I successfully defended my dissertation for my Doctor of Education degree. Finishing my EdD was on The List so I am now able to cross off #14!

I want to say that I am incredibly relieved to be done and for all intents and purposes, my formal education is complete. And, quite frankly, I am pretty damn proud of myself. It took my six years to finish my Bachelors degree so to have completed my Masters and Doctorate degrees in a sum total of 4.5 years is quite the feat.

With all of that said, my dissertation defense was a bit anti-climatic. Don’t get me wrong…I am excited! BUT when my advisor came to tell me that the committee approved my dissertation and then called me Dr. Q, I am relatively certain I expected to feel different. While it certainly would have been nice if the world stopped on its axis and everyone celebrated and worshipped the ground I walked on, I certainly didn’t expect that to happen but I expected something…..A great friend of mine had come up to observe my dissertation and we went for a celebratory lunch but there was no grand aura of change.

I’m not entirely sure where that leaves me other than I am not sure what the next phase of my life will bring. There have been rare periods of time when I have not been in school so I am not yet sure what to do with this new found concept of “free” time. I am working on this “just being” concept….thus far I would give myself a failing grade but I’m trying!

No comments:

Post a Comment