Okay….being 31 and single is not necessarily where I envisioned my life being at this point. I had a plan (shocking, I know) darn it….I was supposed to be married by the time I was 25 with a baby by the time I was 27. I also was supposed to own a house, host family dinners on Sundays after church, have an SUV so as to have the proper soccer mom vehicle and many many other items on my life to-do list.
Clearly that has not happened.
Don’t get me wrong, I fully recognize that I have been blessed in many ways. I have a career and education I am proud of, a niece I absolutely positively adore more than anything in the world, a little sister who I can boss around and tease on a regular basis, friends that put up with me, and a family that (on most days) I love to be a part of although most would say we are slightly….okay, maybe more than slightly…dysfunctional. BUT…let me say this, and say it as loud as I possibly can via a blog….while there is enough crazy to go around there is also a lot of love, and that my friends, is something to be a part of.
I often find myself focusing on the things in my life that I feel are missing. I could write for pages on the things or people or jobs I wished I had at this point. What I don’t often focus on our things or people or jobs (you know…the blessings in life) that I do have, or the places I’ve visited, or the friends that have become family, or the children in my life that make me smile, or my dogs, or my niece that will gladly tell you that her favorite aunt is ME aka Titty, or my mom who I still believe when she says everything is going to be fine (even when it appears that it might be sucky for quite some time), or my dad who makes me laugh every time I talk to him, or my brother who I love to watch movies with because it’s more entertaining to watch him laugh at the movie than the movie itself, or to watch my little sister be a wonderful mother, or the fact that I just completed an education that most people in this world will never have access to, or the fact that I have a job to go to in the morning that 95% of the time I love, or the friends I could call in a heartbeat if needed, or the lifelong friends who bring back memories I forgot I had, or listening to my parents tell stories from when they were growing up but they are laughing so hard they can’t get the words out, or watching my mom get to be a grandma, or, for that matter, watching my mom be a 13 year cancer survivor, or….
You get the idea…..
So, my friends, although it is not on The List, I will most assuredly be counting my blessings.
Tiffany, hi! I just found your blog! I have a blog, too but it's all about my son :)
ReplyDeleteI like what you write.....please know that being married ISN'T easy! There's a roller coaster keep going up/down, so I think you're lucky on that part :) The pasture is always "greener" on the other side, though.
Thank you for commenting on my recent pic. That kid is something, isn't he? I used to fantasize about adopting but I never envisioned it'd really happen so life really is funny! So good to read a little about you....I'll check in here and there to see how you are doing! You write so wonderfully.
HUGS! Be in touch!
Nikki Jepperson-Beatty