Alright….here’s the deal. Most of you know that when it comes to politics I am relatively liberal, typically vote democratic and most definitely did in the 2008 election.
With that said…..let me clarify a few things.
I don’t know what I think about the current health care reform legislation. Wanna know why? Because I haven’t done enough reading on my own to be able to make a decision.
What do I hate (or at least strongly, strongly dislike)? When people make rash decisions and fall strongly on one side or the other and CAN’T TELL YOU WHY….ugh. I can respect your INFORMED opinion but not your “it’s just the way I feel and I don’t like Obama and people should pay their own way” crap.
Here’s the question I struggle with….what about the people who DO work hard, at TWO jobs have children at home to take care of, pay their bills, are positive contributors to society and they STILL can’t afford health insurance?
What makes me better than these people?
Absolutely NOTHING.
So, while my opinion on this particular idea of health care reform has yet to be finalized, the compassionate part of me really struggles with the concept of looking my neighbor in the face, knowing they work just as hard, if not harder than I do, yet I get access to health care they can’t afford.
Furthermore, being a registered democrat is NOT synonymous with being pro-choice.
Do I think that abortion should be a form of birth control?
Absolutely NOT.
Do I think if you’re doing the horizontal mambo it should come as a galloping shock to you that a baby might be the end result? I don’t care if your whole body was wrapped in latex….biologically speaking….that’s what is supposed to happen.
So, if you don’t want a baby….keep your pants on.
Do I think I could a look another woman in the eye, whose life depends on her NOT having a baby and tell her what to do with her body?
Nope.
Do I think I could tell a rape victim who has already been violated what to do with her body?
Nope.
Do I think that women should get to make their own decisions about their own body and I get to make mine, than for the time being and until someone gives me another option, that’s where I land on the subject.
And, quite frankly, I’m not the one who gets to place judgment on others actions….
Do I think if two men or two women it get married, it has any impact on my (hopefully) future marriage?
Nope.
I'm guessing my (hopefully) future husband is going to need more defense from my cooking than he is from other couples who have gotten married.....
Do I think those that have should give to those that have-not?
Darn toot’n!
Having been the beneficiary of federal financial aid, student loans guaranteed by the government, and the kindness of others to get my education you better bet that I think that’s a right to be had by all.
Do I think the lazy bum sitting on the couch not looking for a job deserves my help? Probably not. But if to giving the single mom, going to college, working 40 hours a week means that the bum also benefits...well then...I guess that's what happens.
While I certainly have my days of pity parties, I’ve got a pretty good life! And if I can share that “goodness” with others who may not have had the same opportunities, experiences, etc in life I think that’s my responsibility.
So, there ya go.
That’s all folks!
No comments:
Post a Comment